- Talk to your private teacher or band director first! Tell them what you are looking for (if you know), and most importantly, what your budget is.
- It is extremely important to buy a name-brand instrument. Please ask your private teacher or band director for quality brands for your instrument type.
- You will only get what you are willing to pay for...... If an instrument's price is too good to be true, then it probably IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! Buying a reasonably priced, quality instrument the first time is the key to avoiding headaches. An instrument of poor quality may look nice at first, but when it breaks (and it will!) it probably will be unable to be repaired, as replacement parts are not often made for these instruments.
- Used instruments can be a good choice for the cost-conscious. It is very important that you have a professional look over the instrument before purchasing!
- Play the instrument BEFORE buying it! This is a very important step! You probably wouldn't buy a car without test-driving it...so don't buy an instrument without "test-driving" it.
- Remember, always consult a music professional such as your private teacher or band director BEFORE purchasing!
We maintain a minimal supply of essential instrumental supplies, including valve oil and reeds, which students can purchase directly from the band department. However, we HIGHLY recommend planning ahead and purchasing supplies directly from one of the stores below. They will deliver any purchases ordered online or over the phone to our schools for free during their normal weekly visit.
Rettig Music is our main supplier of instruments and instrument supplies. They have a custom website set up just for BCS Schools, with all of the director-recommended supplies. Any items not found on these pages can still be purchased by calling their store. Purchases are delivered free of charge to the school on a weekly basis.
Rettig Music, Inc.
Forte Music is an additional supplier of all types of instruments and instrument supplies. Items can be ordered by phone. Purchases are delivered free of charge to the school on a weekly basis.
Forte Music, Inc.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPLIES DO I NEED?
This is a general list of supplies you may need in band class. To see specific brand recommendations, check out our custom supplies shop on RettigMusic.com.