Ohio requires a comprehensive, high-quality multi-year induction and mentoring program for beginning teachers.
The goals of the new Resident Educator (RE) program include:
- Support and encourage a successful transition into the profession;
- Use research-based data and the Standards for Ohio Educators as a foundation for all aspects of program design and implementation;
- Focus on enhanced teaching effectiveness supported by continuous improvement at an accelerated rate;
- Support successful mentoring practices with strategic planning and formative assessments of programs;
- Ensure that the schedules of mentors enable effective planning, conferencing, and professional development in collaboration with the assigned resident educators;
- Shelter beginning teachers from inappropriate workloads including the most difficult teaching assignments and working conditions; and
- Create and sustain a community of professional practice through collaboration.