Some of the ideas that were discussed are:
- Teachers would like an end of the year Talent Show to take the place of Awards/Day/Graduation. They would like this on the last day of school and open to all grades.
- Family Day Picnic - September 8th at 11:00 a.m. - bring your own lunch; popcicles/freezer pops provided as a treat. Have recess equipment out for kids to enjoy; have a Family Leadership Team" "FLT" information table with someone there to answer question.
- Interest in a Volunteer Committee to help streamline school/teacher volunteer needs with parents who want to volunteer.
- Box Top/Campbell Labels
- Volunteer Committee - Teachers/Staff can tell the committee what they need volunteer wise (hopefully a 2-hr./yr. commitment from parents) to help with copying papers, taking things home to cut out, help in class, etc.
- Fundraising - Rocket Shop & Rocket Cards in the fall; Flower Power in the spring. All money due up front.
- Activities/Social - Ice Cream Socials, Movie Night, Field Trips, finding help for room parties (pe rteacher request), etc. Hopefully these things will get scheduled at the next meeting.
- Community - Incorporate Land Lab Learners (possible gardens); Reading to seniors; Relay for Life Fundraisers; Caroling/decorating at holiday time. The biggest need is to get the community to see what our children are doing for the community.
- Public Relations - "Welcome Wagon" or packet; Coordinate more with community involvement or activities with the Sampler and local newspapers; get R.C. Waters activities known to the community; possibly coordinate more with "Kidzville" the Truman Newsletter.
- Scholarship - (dormant until springtime) - 4 $250 scholarships per year.
Core beliefs were discussed.
- We believe in enhancing and supporting our children's education through parent involvement.
- We believe in developing a closer connection between school, home, and the community.
- We believe in creating a positive and inviting environment for students, staff and families.
The next meeting will be on Monday, May 21 at 6:30 p.m. Parents that attend parent group meetings are invited to attend. We will discuss:
- Officers descriptions
- Set schedule of events
- Possible budget ideas
We will be sending out a request to allow current parents to give suggestions on a name for the parent group for next year.